Green Marketing –
Green marketing, also referred to as ecological marketing and environmental marketing, is a term that was coined between the late 1980s and early 1990s.
It is associated with the term sustainability. Well for sure, this reminds you of those environmental education chapters highly emphasizing reuse, reduce and recycling of things. Knowing that the supply of natural resources is depleting with time in regard to the demand rate, and that is where sustainability comes into play!
Sustainability implies using resources in a way or finding alternatives to those resources so that they are sufficient for us as well as the future generations.
Now, where does sustainability come in marketing? The products that are safe for the environment are considered as a part of green marketing. Thus the life cycle of the products we use determine whether they are sustainable or not and hence further contribute to this cause.
Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability abbreviated as LOHAS is a term used by the consumers or communities which believe in the institution of green marketing even if they tend to be more expensive than the day to day regular products.
With awareness regarding the green marketing and its benefits to the surroundings, people who feel more responsible for the environment are more inclined to take up products that are more sustainable and environment-friendly, hence, promoting green marketing. The LOHAS may be further divided into five segments as per NMI (Natural Marketing Institute):
1) LOHAS: the entrusted followers of green marketing
2) Naturalites: people primarily devoted to personal health
3) Drifter: the ones that follow the trend only when its more affordable
4) Conventional: though believe in the green marketing but have a more practical perspective on the concept of green marketing and follow it for the sake of saving money.
5) Unconcerned: the ignorant or unconcerned lot which is hardly affected by the long-lasting effects of their deeds.
How to achieve Green Marketing?
From the raw material used to the end product, each stage may contribute to the green marketing, and it does not just end there! The promotion of the product to the disposal after use is also a part of this form of marketing. Some steps that could be taken up to ecological marketing are:
- Systematic packaging and shipping
- Use of ecologically sound inks and paper for print marketing
- Promotion through e-marketing to save on paper consumption
- The sustainable power source in the production
- Ecological product packaging
- Use of biodegradable products that could contribute to an easy disposal.
Yes, it is a trendsetter, but in the name of green marketing many producers and sellers are trying to sell products which otherwise may not come under this category, but to save on cost are tagged ecological and sustainable in nature. It is the act of misleading the consumers into buying products not having a genuine certification of green marketing. In the hustle to make money, the producers are not concerned with the consequences of their products.
Green Marketing Products –
Green Marketing products are presumed to be environmentally safe, below are some Green marketing products –
- Dryer Balls
- Eco-Friendly Paper Shredders
- Green Power Outlets
- Solar Speakers
- Green GPS Units
- Eco-Friendly Verification Phone Apps
- Solar Panel Charging Cases
- Solar Water Heaters
- LED Lights
- Energy Saving TVs
Advantages of Green Marketing :
Green marketing is the need of the hour, but it would be of no success if the public is not aware of its needs and positive aspects. Companies that produce the green marketing products get the competitive advantages and directly leads to profit sustainability.
It is the best way to access the new market. Also, they should be warned against the go-getters in the industry trying to loot them in the name of green marketing.